"Where are we going Mom?" "Crazy, wanna come?"

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Emali Anne Carbonneau 4.4.12

Can time just stop for a little bit?
I cannot believe that it has been 4 weeks since our baby girl was born! HAPPY 4 WEEKS OLD Emali-lemali, Emali loo who, Emmy Emmy, Emali Anne!

Emali Anne Carbonneau was born on Wednesday, April 4th, 2012 at 6:18 am.  She was 7 lbs 14 oz and 19 1/2 inches long. Lucky me, she probably would have come sooner, but she wanted to come face up, and stubborn little her, she came face up anyhow, just was a little rougher on Mom.

She was nice and gave us some warning.  My Mom had come into town the Saturday before and we had been getting little things (and big things) done around the house and shopping and of course I took Mom out for Gelato at FROST that night.  When we came home I had to watch the latest Biggest Loser episode and headed for bed late, about 11:30.  Come midnight, I awoke to the gush of my water breaking in bed.  She was ready to make her debut. At least I got a power nap in.

I went ahead and took a shower and finished packing my hospital bag.  We called Mom Carbonneau right away so she could start her 2 hour drive to come meet us.  Luckily, she had finished her big sewing project that needed to be done for that weekend, just 20 minutes earlier!

My contractions didn't really start until 1:45 am, it was good to get a few things done. Like find a babysitter at midnight! We texted a few friends that had offered to watch the kids, and no one was responding.  I didn't want to call and wake anyone who wasn't still up, so I had Chris get on facebook and he saw that our friend Jamie was online (super lucky!) I texted Jamie and her husband just so happened to be home, so she came and slept on in the guest room and took care of the kids the next day. THANK YOU JAMIE!!

I got out the pen and paper and started writing down contractions just before 2 am.  Come a little after 3 a.m. and I was losing my audience.  Chris said this was the part he usually misses because he is driving back home from work usually, and that it was pretty boring.  I kept writing down contractions waiting for them to be close and strong and consistent for a good while. Chis went to sleep and a while later we decided I should try to lay down even though I was mostly wound up.  Both our Moms tried to get some shut eye as well.  About 4 am I suggested I may want to go to the hospital.  My Mom encouraged me to tough it out a little more as they were getting stronger, but hadn't been consistent for very long.  I layed down and I remember waking up feeling like my whole body was a jack hammer.  I felt like I was shaking all over.  I was cold, and shivering, and having a pretty hard contraction.  I had been laying down for about 15 minutes.  Twice the laying down and waking up to my whole body shaking thing happened. The second time I was ready to go.  I got everyone up and ready to leave.  Chris had to use the bathroom and I couldn't get into the car without him backing it out, so I stood in the driveway for only a few minutes waiting, but it seemed to take FOREVER, I think that will forever be in my mind as the worst timed bathroom break ever.  sorry babe.  but it was. :)

I think I always go through "transition" in the car.  It is the longest drive ever to the hospital.  not really, but mentally it is.  I told Chris, can we just get there before my next contraction?  He knew they were at most 5 minutes apart, and he had to tell me the truth, sorry, not even close.

When we got to the hospital the doors were locked and I had to push a button.  The woman said, how can I help you? I always feel funny at this part, what do you say? um...I'm having contractions, I'm in labor...I am going to have a baby...just let me in!  Okay, I just said, one of the first two.  It was just a little bit after 5 a.m. when I checked in.  When I sat down this lady was one of the nicest I have ever checked in with.  She could tell when I was having a contraction and would just wait to ask me questions until I was done each time.  She even kind of cheered me on at the end as she said we could go to triage and I almost started to cry.  I am not sure if it was the thought of walking more, or just that things were starting to get more intense.  I think it was the subconscious thought of the next step.

This is the part I can never understand, I do, but I don't.  The part where I am in intense labor and they ask me to walk myself to the bathroom to change into the gown.  They know I am in pain, yet they make me do it.  It is not easy to stand on one foot to get your pants off when you are 9 months pregnant, especially in labor! I know, it takes half a second per leg, but really. Just a personal pet peeve, they could somehow make this step easier for women. Maybe I will wear snap off warm up pants, or ask to have my clothes cut off of me next time...lol  jk!

When we finally got set up in triage, right before the nurse checked my progress, I told Chris, I really hope I am at an 8.  I feel like I am, but, I can't be disappointed if I am only at a 6.  Sure enough, we were at an 8 and it was a huge self esteem boost to hear the nurse call the delivery nurse and and doctor and report my progress.  She bragged about everything.  Her calls sounded about like this: " I have a patient here, 39 weeks, 4 days, negative on this, this, and that.  Contractions every so many minutes, water already broke, fully ephased, dialted to an 8, 5th baby, no epidural wanted...I know! she's great!" She was so enthusiastic and sweet.  Even if it was 5 am.

They got us into the delivery room and I remember not wanting to move.  It is hard to think past the pain, but that is why it is so great to have amazing cheerleaders.  I found what was most comfortable for me, but their suggestions are so important and help you find something else that feels even better.  I came close to throwing up this time again, but didn't! hooray!  Not long after we were in the room I felt like there was a lot of pressure on my tail bone, I think I had 2 contractions where I mentioned pressure and right then the doctor arrived.  He checked me, said we are at a 10, she is ready to go and we started pushing.  I think we pushed through 3 or 4 contractions and I said, I don't feel like anything is progressing, why is nothing changing? (i.e. most my kids come out on the first push...why is she still in there?!?!)  Dr. Chen said she is face up, let's have you tuck your chin all the way to your chest and have you lean as far forward as you can on your next push and it should help open some room for her to turn.  We did that on the next push.  Dr. Chen later said, "did you hear the POP when her head got loose? I have never heard that." Emali decided not to turn, instead she came right out, sunny side up, and didn't get stuck at all, after her head got past the bone she was stuck on.  Poor girl had the biggest dent all the way across the front of her head like a crown!  thankfully it only lasted a few hours and went away pretty quickly.

I have always said that my doctor is a good doctor, but I have nothing to rave about and say why people should go to him.  I have to say he really cheered for me this time, and to me, having the doctor coach me, and positively encourage me, is what I want most in my doctor (aside from the whole keep me and my baby alive part, ya know, that is a no brainer).  Dr. Chen did a great job this time.  During the short time he was in the room, he told me I could do it, he said good job, he said keep doing what you are doing, and just really communicated well with me.  That is what I had yet to see from him, and I this time he really impressed me.

Emali was born just an hour and 15 minutes or so after we checked in, and even faster than that short time, the last 4 weeks have flown by.

So, with that, here are the pictures to show our reward!

 Right at her hair line you can barely see the indent.  poor girl.





 Grandma Carbonneau
 Grandma Pike
(These two amazing Moms have been at the births of each of our children.  This time we weren't sure that either would be able to make it, but they did! we are so blessed with amazing Moms/grandmas!!) 


 Here I am (freezing still) working on a name for our baby girl.  We waited over 24hrs to nail it down.

 This coyote was right outside the hospital room! It was so fun to watch him!

















Going home!

3 comments:

Pike's Place said...

She's beautiful! Congrats!

Hall of Halls said...

cute baby & cute pictures

Kari Pike said...

Great post, Kati. Thanks for letting me be there and witness that little miracle. hugs~